Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Serving Size: 8
IRISH SODA BREAD:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk shaken
- 1 large egg beaten, for egg wash (optional)
SALTED HONEY BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
TO MAKE THE SODA BREAD:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Using a box grater, grate the butter into the dry ingredients and mix quickly, being sure the butter is broken up into pea-sized bits. Next, add the rolled oats and chocolate chips; toss them gently in the flour mixture so they are evenly distributed.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon, mix it together until it forms a shaggy ball. Drop the soda bread dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead a few times, being sure to not over handle it, which will result in tough bread. Form the soda bread into a 1 1/2-inch thick disc. Using a knife, score the top, forming an X, and brush it with the egg wash OR you could always use buttermilk.
- Transfer the soda bread to the baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, and until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm with plenty of honey butter.
TO MAKE THE HONEY BUTTER:
- Mix together the butter, salt, and honey. Mix until smooth. Serve alongside soda bread.
To Make Ahead:
You can make this Irish bread dough, form it into a round and then freeze it on a baking sheet for 1 hour. Transfer to a freezer-safe plastic bag and then bake from the freezer. You might need to add about 5 to 7 minutes to the baking time.