What we all need right now is some comforting warmth and a good old sprinkling of early festive cheer. This delicious warm mulled spiced apple cider has got you covered on both counts.
Make this in your slow cooker and your house will smell divine. It’s a festive drink that the kids and non-drinkers can enjoy, though if you do want it to be a little boozy, you can just add in a dash of brandy or rum at the end.
Cozy, cozy, cozy!
10 apples - Jazz or Granny Smiths - a mixture of the two is good
3-4 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small piece of ginger, peeled and sliced (optional)
3/4 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Remove the peel from the orange and lemon. Don't throw it away. We're using that! Make sure to remove the white pith as it's very bitter. Cut the orange and lemon into slices. Don't worry about the seeds. You'll get those out later.
- Cut the apples into quarters. Don't worry about the seeds. You'll get those out later, too.
- Add the orange and lemon slices and peels into the crockpot along with the apples, and cinnamon sticks along with the other ingredients. Pour in enough cold water to cover everything.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook at high for 3 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- When time is up, use a potato masher to mash the fruit into the water, then place the lid back on and cook on high for another 30-60 minutes.
- Carefully strain the liquid through a sieve into a large jug and it's ready to serve immediately. Or you can cool, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Just reheat in a pan when ready to serve.
- Garnish with an orange slice and/or cinnamon stick.